This article deals with the process from the establishment of the Japanese Resident-General in 1906 to the compilation of the Joseon History (35 volumes) by organizing ancient books and historical materials in 1938. In 1906, the Japanese colonial government established the Japanese Resident-General and intervened in the internal affairs of Joseon. Also, Japanese Resident-General took control of the Kyujanggak to organize historical data of Joseon. The Japanese colonial government wanted to understand the situation of Joseon by transferring key records, including royal historical records that were preserved at Kyujanggak and “True Record of the Joseon Dynasty that were preserved at several libraries. After annexation treaty in 1910, the Japanese established a bureau of inquiry(取調局) and a councilor s office(參事官室) to collect historical records from Japanese Resident-General. They summarized ancient books and ancient texts that were held by Kyujanggak of the Joseon Dynasty, and put together.
In 1915, Japan started Joseon Peninsula History Compilation Project in Jungchuwon. The Joseon Peninsula History Compilation Project was launched with the aim of assimilating Joseon people. It was decided to run for three years from July 1915 to December 1918. Kanji Odaro(小田幹治郞), then a secretary of the Central Committee, was in charge of the project, and Joseon people who were participating in the Jungchuwon were mobilized. However, Joseon Peninsula History Compilation Project was delayed due to a delay in data collection, and was not completed amid the changes of the times, such as the March 1st Movement in 1919.
In December 1922, the Rule of Compilation Committee of Joseon History(朝鮮史編纂委員會規定) was promulgated and the Compilation Committee of Joseon History(朝鮮史編纂委員會) was organized. The Compilation Committee gained power when the Compliation Organization of Joseon History(朝鮮史編修會) was established in June 1925. Kuroita Gasumi(黑板勝美) played a key role in the Compliation Organization of Joseon History. The compilation of Joseon History started publish in March 1932, and was completed in March 1938, when the last 35 volumes were published.